Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Slow & Steady in Weight Lifting

Hip replacement surgery in 2002 ended my running career, so I started lifting weights (I still run 2 to 4 miles per week; I just can’t give it up completely).

In the past, weight lifting programs, like my running programs, ended with injuries. The previous episode ended in 1994 with an injured rotator cuff.

This time, however, I had learned a lesson from running – slow and steady really does win the race. I set each exercise at an initial weight I could lift easily for at least six repetitions. I determined to add weight in the smallest increment available to me; 1-1/4 lb plates. When possible I would add only one plate, sometimes it was necessary to add two plates to maintain symmetrical weight distribution.

Further slowing down the process, I kept each exercise at the new weight level until I could do fifteen repetitions. At that point another 1-1/4 lb plate was added.

I’ve done this for five years now without injury – the longest I’ve ever kept up a weight training regimen. And, the total weight per exercise has grown significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment